Monday, July 18, 2011

Feeling Nostalgic...

Jake and I made really good time unpacking. Our townhouse feels like a home now that most of the boxes are empty and moved out of the house; furniture is in place; and pictures are hung. I’ve filled a few boxes full of items that I want to donate. When I moved to Omaha, my parents pretty much had me take all of my childhood keepsakes with me. I think that’s because I had several garbage bags full of stuffed animals in the attic and things that I just didn’t need but was sad to let go of. Since I’ve moved 3 times in the last year, (Cedarville, OH to Knoxville, TN to Omaha, NE to Alburtis, PA) I have realized that it is a lot easier to move when you have less stuff! Through my moves I've sorted through everything and I've kept just a few of my favorite things that I will want to share with my kids some day.

I have had the joy of peaking into my parents' childhoods through pictures, stories, and some of their keepsakes. I used to play dress up in my mom's old prom dresses that my great-grandma sewed for her. This picture below is of me, my brothers, and a neighborhood friend playing wedding. I remember wearing my mom's pale pink prom dress, holding the fake flowers from a kitchen table centerpiece, and wearing a fishnet slip on my head as a veil. I felt like a beautiful bride.



As I have been sorting through my childhood things, I have been thinking about the things that are special to me that I will want to share with my children...If Jake and I have girls one day I'm sure they will love my sash and crown and evening gowns and other pageant memorabilia...or the miniature tea set Dad got for me while he was in China...or my first jewelry box...or the sweet dresses great grandma made for me. I'm sure our children will be surprised that I have a whole collection of NASCAR matchbox cars, pit passes, and autographed racing gear from the races that Dad always took me to at the Lowes Motor Speedway. Jake has also kept some of his toy tractors and other keepsakes that young boys would love.

I've loved opening these boxes and taking a trip down memory lane. It makes me feel so blessed to have such great memories with my parents, my brothers, the church I grew up in, my friends, and loved ones. God has truly blessed me with so much love from family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment